Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Days 12 & 13

Days 12 & 13

Today's Starting Weight: 170.0 (Did Not Weigh In Either Day)
Weight lost to date: 12.5 lbs


I have found that especially when I am cooking for my boyfriend as well as myself that I gravitate towards the seafood counter in the supermarket. It is an easy way to cook something delicious and satisfying without having to worry about its preparation. Generally, baking or broiling most fish works like a charm without the use of oils or other fats. This approach worked again this weekend when we decided on shrimp and scallops. Pair these with some steamed spinach or a salad with your veggies and you have a full meal, not to mention that he is happy and so am I! I use Bobby Flay's Shrimp Boil (see below for recipe) to cook shrimp for a "shrimp cocktail" minus the cocktail sauce; the cooking method is super quick and the shrimp have an amazing flavor when you eat them. I also use these shrimp as a protein on salads and also chopped up with some diced red onion, lemon and cilantro in lettuce wraps for lunch.


On another note, I really feel disconnected without weighing in on the weekends, I will have to get a scale this weekend. 



Breakfast
1/2 c. multigrain cheerios
1/2 c. almond milk
10 lg. strawberries


Lunch
3 hard boiled eggs
1 c. grape tomatoes


Snack
1 lg. apple


Dinner
2.5 oz. shrimp & 5.5 oz broiled flounder
2 lg handfuls baby spinach, steamed


Daily Water intake 90+ oz.


Bobby Flay's Shrimp Boil


Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt -- I use sea salt instead and only a little bit, not 2 tablespoons
  • 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
  • 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
  • 2 lemons, quartered
  • 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined

Directions

Fill a medium saucepan with 2 quarts cold water. Add the salt, coriander, peppercorns and lemon wedges, squeezing the juice into the pot first, and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the shrimp, and simmer for about 4 minutes, or until just cooked through. Drain the shrimp in a colander, transfer to a bowl, cover and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.



4 comments:

  1. How has it been going the past week? I'm going to start the program soon and found your blog. We started out the same weight, so I'm so curious to see how you're doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,

    Thanks for asking, I am doing really well, I hit 20 lbs down today and in less than one month! I personally have found this program pretty easy, I like to cook and have tried a bunch of the recipes in the book. Let me know how you do! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm checking back in with you. Unfortunately, I'm not doing anywhere near as well as you are on the plan. I'm finding it hard to resist when I cook for my family. I do ok when I'm at work but when I'm home cooking for them, that's the hardest. I know it could be as simple as saying, "just have them eat what you eat just in different portions" but they like to eat rice and pasta. I especially have one kid that isn't big on just eating meat - he would rather have it in a casserole or something. So, I'm not down very much. Only around 5 lbs and I'm already on day 20. I'm really disappointed in myself. The weekends are the hardest. Water - gosh. Drinking that much water is almost torture. Can you tell I'm down about it all today? I'm going to keep going even after my 23 days is up. I'll keep going until I use my entire bottle. I'm going to try and make it a good week so I can at least end the 23 days on a high note. I hope you're doing well. Are you in maintenance now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea,

    I am sorry to hear that you are having some trouble. I know that when you are cooking for a hungry family it can be hard to accomodate your dietary needs and food that they want to eat! I am currently down 30lbs and am not yet on maintenance. I am going to stay on program until I meet my goal weight, so I have about 20 lbs left. When I am shopping and cooking for the people in my family, I check out twice. I pick up all the things that they will eat and all of the things I am supposed to eat. I keep them separate in my basket and simply make two transactions. I know this seems weird but I wanted to see how much money I am spending on food for myself to be on program. Usually I spend about 60/week on food for myself. Doing this helps me remember that I am spending money on myself and I will not let it go to waste. I eat what I buy for me, and prepare my meals simultaneously with those for my family. I am not spending any more money than I already was, but the breakdown gives me more ownership over my food choices. It takes a lot of will power to not have a bite of the mac and cheese or chicken nugget, or to have a taste of someones dessert, but those choices have paid off in so many ways. I am back in many clothes that I have not worn in a very long time and am having fun donating old clothes that are too big for me now.

    As far as the water drinking goes, I spread it out throughout the day. I drink a full glass of water with breakfast and I drink two 40 oz bottles between then and dinner. I am better about doing this during the week while I am at work, but have also gotten into the routine of drinking throughout the day on the weekends also.

    I would suggest keeping with it. Take a whole week and strictly stay on protocol and then reevaluate and see where you are. Also, when I hit a bit if a plateau a few weeks ago, my Stimulock Practitioner suggested I do a recovery day and then keep going. This really helped me to stimulate the weight loss again and keep going. Maybe this would be something for you to do as well ( I did the steak and salad option and had a bit of an earlier dinner - I ate around 6 instead of 7:30). I am on my second bottle and will probably buy a third in a week or so.

    Please let me know how you are doing, Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete